Anyone that knows me knows how much I love and recommend regular business Plan and Review Days. I find this practice to be so valuable in fact, that P+R Days are often built right into my programs. (Hi, Build Your Client Base!)
The concept of a P+R Day is simple: Set aside designed time to reflect on the recent work completed, income made, resources spent, successes, and challenges, and then use that information to make strategic game plans for moving forward.
The next thing I’m about to say is super duper important…
Business Plan and Review Days are positive. 🌟(Other words I’ve used to describe them “delicious,” “yummy,” and plain old “good.”) They serve as a built-in fresh start each and every month, quarter, or year and boost me with information and confidence to make positive decision-making and business-strengthening moves as I go.
This special day pairs extremely well with my Sacred Business Binder, a critical valuable tool and resource I insist all of my clients adapt. In this Binder, you will find everything you need to efficiently, effectively, and easily tackle all of the (delicious! yummy! good!) work below.
For those who sign up for my Build Your Client Base mastermind group, great news!—we will work through P+R Days and my Sacred Business Binder together in real time. However, I don’t want to leave anyone hanging when it comes to the amazeballs benefits that come out of incorporating this practice into your work. As a guide, the following outlines my personal monthly and quarterly P+R Days, though you can add weekly, daily, bi-weekly, or whatever kind of cadence works for you! The point is to commit to feeding yourself and your business with this kind of care and attention on a schedule that you can commit to (though I definitely don’t recommend anything less than what I outline below!)
Without further ado, I’m gonna show *you* how to Plan & Review! #cantresistarhyme #anytime
I do my best to block off the first weekday of each month in my Google calendar as my Business Review Day. If it can’t be the first weekday of the month, I make it happen as close to then as possible for one simple reason: my memory is teeeeeeerrible. If I tried to review June on, say, July 10th, it would be totally pointless. As would be July planning because the month is halfway over!
On this day, I don’t take any calls, and I don’t make any To-Dos. I set up my out-of-office so everyone knows I won’t be getting back to them that day. Instead, I sit down with my Sacred Business Binder, my calendar, and my project management system (that has my upcoming milestones and deadlines, as well as my time tracking for the prior month), along with some colored pencils and washi tape (because it’s funner that way)!
Then, I work on the following:
- Filling out my custom monthly reflection worksheet for the prior month. This has questions like: What did I learn this month? What’s my Main Goal for next month, & how will I reach it? What will I Stop, Start and/or Keep Doing? Why did(n’t) I meet my financial goal this month? What would you rate this month on a scale of 1-10 – and why?
- Scheduling in the next month with noteworthy dates, deliverables, and more. Think: content schedule, launch plans, and important admin.
- Review my CrazyEgg data and make adjustments based on what is and isn’t working with the way my site’s being used.
- Review the stats tracker my VA fills out for me each month with goodies like newsletter open rate, most popular blog posts, social media numbers and more. I’m then able to make decisions on what needs to happen based on *real* numbers and data.
Believe it or not, all of this takes me about 2-3 hours and helps me build out weekly, monthly, or even yearly roadmaps!
For my quarterly P+R Day, I expand on the above and then some! For those following along at home, give yourself an extra hour here to address the following…
- Expanding on my Financial Review: What’s bringing in the money, and what isn’t? Anything to reconsider, experiment with, or double down on? Any expenses I need to review or new investments to consider (again)?
- Marketing efforts: How are my clients or customers actually finding me? Where do I (not) see engagement? What needs to shift? Where can I louden my voice and increase my visibility?
- Business building: Is my team working well? What about my systems and processes? What needs to be reviewed, tried, brought on or eliminated
- And of course, I fill out my Quarterly Goals mindmap! If you’re new to the mindmapping game, let me be the one to tell you— it’s awesome! This kind of brainstorming + planning gives you a visual representation of your goals and helps you keep track of your wins.
Between your Business P+R Days and your Sacred Business Binder, you’ll have all you need to be on top of your goals, money and plans. It’ll make it impossible for you to fail, because you’ll constantly be learning and growing!
Snag both with some professional guidance by joining my upcoming Build Your Client Base mastermind! Applications open early on June 22nd (with early bird pricing!) for those on the interest list, and you can sign up right here. Together, we’ll walk through all of the above plus have a Pajama Planning Day this December to review 2020 and plan for 2021. I hope to see you on that list, STAT!