This is the recording that was initially shared with my Grown Up Gigs list in my 3 week long, mega-amazeballs event in March. I’ll be posting one weekly ’til I get all 10 of ‘em up. Such goodness here!
Jessika Hepburn sat on her first board of directors when she was 9.
When she was 10, she started her first business.
At 19, she co-founded an art based summer camp for impoverished kids.
By the time Jessika was 21, she had worked with over 50 non-profits, cooperatives and social enterprises helping them increase their engagement, transform their communities, and celebrate local diversity.
Now, she’s the creative leader + community matchmaker at oh my! handmade goodness & is sharing her path (mistakes and lessons included!) with me on Grown Up Gigs today.
In this juicy interview, we cover:
▪ how she wanted to be Prime Minister of Canada, and what she did to chase that dream
▪ the mission statement and thread that’s guided her throughout her career changes, projects and causes
▪ what she did with an inheritance as a 19 year old
▪ quitting high school and college, and why getting a degree wasn’t the route she took
▪ starting a jewelry company when she became a teenage Mom, and why sheleft it behind to be a preschool teacher/ Executive Director of the community resource center/ the President of a documentary film club/ scout leader (whew!)
▪ regretting the decisions she’s made for safety and security
▪ what finally brought her to buy Oh My Handmade Goodness even though “there was no real purpose to it”
▪ what prompted her to start weekly #omhg twitter chats, and how it’s been thebiggest catalyst to grow her business (and has lasted 3 years, always with something to talk about!)
▪ why she only builds things that are asked for, and how it’s led her to no longer have to market herself or advertise
▪ stepping up her business when her husband got laid off, while still creating boundaries
▪ the most impactful thing you can do to build your community
It’s a longer interview, but you’ll see why when you click Play – it’s a chat full of truths, giggles, and takeaways a plenty.
Can’t access the video? Watch it here. Prefer to listen? Get the MP3 here. And apologies for a bit of sound difficulties that pop up in the middle of the chat! We had some silly Skype issues, but you should still be able to understand everything even if our lips aren’t 100% synced up.
Some tweetables to share!:
What was your biggest takeaway for this interview? Anything you wanna know about Jessika or her career that wasn’t covered? Leave it in the comments!
Want updates, reminders and recordings for all the Grown Up Gigs? Sign up below and you’ll be good to go!