Just when I think that over a decade of experience as a professional business coach has shown me everything that can happen when starting a new biz, a global pandemic shows up and challenges us all.
Guiding my incredible, talented clients in discovering, building, and launching their dream businesses in the middle of a worldwide health crisis? Nope, that one wasn’t on my coaching certification test. However, rebounding from unexpected financial, personal, or economic blows, starting your own business in the middle of a recession, and taking a risk when all signs might be imploring you to wait, stop, or give up?—now we’re talking my language.
As you continue to wade through this alternate reality of the 2020 COVID-19 outbreak (or in the midst of any work challenges) here are 5 ways you can kick your business into gear, anytime, any way, any how:
- Bring out the specials. This means discounts, deals, rate reductions, BOGO offers, giveaways, and more. You’re looking to drum up interest by offering your clients an incentive to click “buy!” Start with something small and impactful that will show your clients how much value you have to offer them. Quick offers with immediate pay-off will help to drive them towards your larger (full-priced) offers in the long run.
- Provide a single offer for a limited amount of time. If making sweeping sales or price drops feels too risky, this strategy is a great option. I find this works best if the offer is either something you’ve never provided before OR if it’s been a long time since you’ve rolled this good or service out. By giving your prospective clients a timeline for a one-off goodie, you’re holding their metaphorical feet to the metaphorical fire to persuade them to purchase a real offer at a sweet rate!
- Try something “out there”, like my “Make Me An Offer” approach! During my birthday in 2016, I was going through boob cancer treatments (not great) and wanted to do something positive and celebratory for my business without expending extremely essential energy into a new offer or program. Instead, I came up with a way to let my prospective clients not only lead the way in what they needed from me, but help me identify what I could take on given the circumstances! I asked my followers to Make Me an Offer, asking me for specific help and naming a price they’d be willing to pay. It was then up to me if I could a) give them what they needed and b) do it for the rate they proposed. I counter offered a bunch, and when all was said and done, I made $8k just by saying “yes!” to work my clients designed for me and brought to my door (inbox)!
- Set up a Bring-A-Friend intro offer. This strategy is designed to bring not one but two new clients into your door. A good formula is to offer one service or product at full price for the first person and then 50% off for that person’s friend. (They can figure out the logistics later.) The more friends your client brings, the larger the discount, the larger your client roster, and the more people you serve with your work!
- Offer subscriptions or memberships. The longer the subscription or the membership, the better the deal! This is perfect for services or offers that can be repeated on the regular (think yoga classes, nutritionist grocery lists, one-on-one sessions, etc.) As an example, a one-time purchase might cost your clients $$$, but if they sign up to receive the same item for 6 months in a row, it should cut the price per product down to $$ or even $. This sort of business model also keeps clients in your orbit and hip to all that you and your business are up to over an extended period of time.
The number 1 rule to all of the above: You MUST put yourself out there. If the pandemic (or any other circumstances outside of your control) have your client numbers and sales dwindling, you must remember it is more important now than ever before to keep yourself available, relevant, and visible. This means crafting any of the above kinds of deals and letting your people and network know about it.
Now is not the time to play small. You have big solutions to provide and a big pool of people you can help. Go get ‘em, CEO!
My Build Your Client Base masterminders got these tips in April, and taking action on them led to 2 of the participants having their best business month ever! First dibs on the limited spots and early bird pricing for the July-December round will go out to those on this list on June 22nd and I’ve love to see your name on there!