Think Renaissance Souls went out with the, well Renaissance?
Back then, being an artist and a scientist and an inventor was looked on with admiration, respect, and genius status.
Now? It’s seen as flaky, ADD-like, and unfocused.
But just because Society (capital S) doesn’t like it, it doesn’t mean there aren’t any Renaissance Souls in 2014!
On the contrary.
Here are 50 modern day, living Renaissance Souls:
- Justin Timberlake***** (singer + actor + designer)
- Tracy Matthews* (jewelry designer + business teacher + yoga teacher)
- Crosby Noricks** (fashion marketing strategist & founder of PR Couture)
- Danielle Maveal** (rebel leader + GM of Social Good at Bark & Co)
- Rosalie Gale*** (artist + comedian + blogger + multiple biz owner + web developer)
- Kelly Rae Roberts** (artist + published author + teacher)
- Christina Loff ***(publicist + marketer + content strategist + marketing manager)
- Jen Hewett* (artist + printmaker + HR consultant)
- Melissa Dinwiddle (artist + singer + songwriter + ukulele player + teacher + writer)
- Andrea Owen* (life coach + published author)
- Delilah Snell (retail store owner + conference co-founder + master food preserver + teacher)
- Steve Martin***** (actor + novelist + playwright + screenwriter + comedian + producer + Grammy winning musician)
- Leah Kalimakas** (web designer + developer and founder of The Freelance to Freedom Project)
- Megan Collins* (fashion stylist + writer)
- Lesley Desantis (model + artist)
- Oprah***** (TV host + media mogul + publisher + actress)
- Allison Costa*** (food writer + owner of Ventura Food Tours)
- Jim Hopkinson (speaker + published author + podcast host + teacher)
- Mark Powers* (percussion teacher + workshop leader + professional musician)
- Summer Pierre* (illustrator + published author)
- Rachael Narins*** (chef + certified master gardener + master food preserver + food writer + co-owner of a culinary event company)
- Diane Gilleland*** (crafter + writer + editor + producer + teacher + podcast host)
- Jessica Swift* (illustrator + surface designer + published author)
- Jim Rash**** (actor + director + Oscar winning screenwriter)
- Beth Shorr* (Daily Show talent coordinator + owner of an Etsy shop)*
- Kim Werker***(writer + editor + blogger + crafter + speaker + brainstormer-for-hire)
- Donald Glover****(comedian + actor + rapper)
- Alexandra Franzen* (published author + professional wordsmith + teacher)
- Cathy Callahan*** (designer/maker + published author + window dresser + merchandiser + product consultant)
- S.M. Boyce (published author + teacher + coach + marketing consultant)
- Kari Chapin** & *** (bestselling author + teacher + mentor)
- Alexis Ohanian (business investor + video host + published author + speaker)
- Sarah Von Bargen (blogger + writer + consultant + copywriter)
- Megan Hunt*** (e-commerce site co-founder + founder of boutique bridal company)
- Laura Neff* (life coach + co-owner of a prepared food delivery service)
- Katy Svehaug*** (writer + jewelry designer + educational content coordinator)
- Emilie Wapnick (musician + coach + writer + speaker + designer)
- Eleanor Callott Whitney*** (writer + rock musician + educator + arts administrator)
- Drew Barrymore***** (actress + producer + published author + photographer)
- Brittany Melhoff***(editor + writer + teacher + speaker + all-over stylish lady)
- Jenny Blake (publisher author + speaker + coach + yoga teacher)
- Kate Spencer* (writer + correspondent + yoga teacher + performer)
- Me! (life coach + teacher + published author + speaker)
So, whadda we learn from this?
- Renaissance Souls are natural entrepreneurs.
- Think you’re not a speaker or writer? Think again! We all have something important to share, say, and teach to others.
- We’re everywhere! (Seriously, this list only took me about a half hour to compile. It wasn’t hard it all! The links, on the other hand…)
- Renaissance Souls are naturally creative. If we repress that, we’re denying one of our biggest gifts.
- If Oprah is a Renaissance Soul, then we are proven to be fierce!
Anyone else need to be mentioned/included? Do you think having multiple titles/passions/careers is a negative thing or a positive one? Leave it in the comments!
*former Grown Up Gigs guest
** future Grown Up Gigs guest
*** Craftcation speaker (I’ll be speaking, too!)
**** famous person
*****super famous person that’s so famous I don’t even need to link to ’em